Saturday, May 16, 2009

settling in + iwatsuka

well... i am now in the comfort of my permanent apartment in nagoya! and by comfort, i mean comfort. i bought a lovely futon that is leaps and bounds better than what i was sleeping on in chiba. thank goodness! yesterday was the big move, and boy it was big. i hauled all my things in one trip and had to keep repeating to myself, "you can do this, you can do this" because it was so heavy and i could hardly move. i had a 50+ pounder on my back and was pulling my rolling duffle bag (60+ lbs.) with my computer case / backpack (25 lb) attached on by a clip and hanging from the handles i had two shopping bags with overflow. so i guessing it was over 150 pounds. i did it and arrived to my new apartment in the afternoon. it is a bit older than the last super new and hightech chiba place and also a different layout. it is a loft style. still very small and efficient. in the main room there is a tv on a little stand, a coffee table and a low twin wooden bed frame which i put my new comfy futon on. my plan is to get an additional futon or air mattress to put up in the loft so if i have guests, there will be 2 beds and 2 sleeping areas. its nice to have the futon in the main room too as it acts like a couch. i was missing a couch!

my neighborhood is pretty cool. lots of resources nearby like grocery store, drugstore, a 100 yen shop, a small department store, a few cafe's, restaurants and mini marts. i am pretty set as far as all that stuff goes. yay. the subway stop, iwatsuka is about a ten minute walk from my front door. i haven't met any neighbors yet or explored too much. i'd like to get a bike so i can start checking out the area a bit more efficiently. i am only about 5k from the city center so it seems plausible to ride to downtown.

haven't taken any photos yet but they will come soon. i wouldn't dare try and photograph my apartment in it's current state anyhow. i'd call it a disaster zone for sure.

No comments: