Tuesday, May 19, 2009

meetings + first day

today and yesterday i met with my schools. i will be at nagara jhs one day per week and at kumaiden the other days. everyone was very nice and welcoming. i will be preparing an introduction lesson that i will give next tuesday at nagara (i am there every tue) and at my other lessons at kumaiden next week. i start work tomorrow at kumaiden and am scheduled to arrive early in the gym to say a short hi & hello at the morning meeting in front of 550 students then i will introduce myself to the 35 teachers in the teachers room. they want that introduction in japanese, i need to study it tonight but luckily it can be short! the rest of this week at kumaiden there is grade 3 testing so i will not be doing anything on my own, just assisting as they prepare for the exams but next week i will give my introduction and a quiz game to go with it to each class i assist. i am relieved to have the weekend to prepare for my first presentation! i am a little nervous but confident i can do just fine. i sure was a little relieved to not have to prepare much for my first few days. i think it will be good to get my bearings and get comfortable in a new environment before doing any lessons of my own. it should be fine. also, one of the main english teachers at kumaiden studied abroad for a year at good ol' university of oregon and has also spent time in portland. small world! wish me luck tomorrow for my first day!!!

3 comments:

Bublitz said...

good luck! you will do great and everyone will love you :) even if it's a little nerve racking the first few days, it will be fun and good in no time :)

J Manson Squared said...

Best of luck. We know you will kick booty!

mombo said...

You will do a great job, Noelle. Just think through the intro and decide what you really want to tell them. That smile of yours will go along ways! Also, using Japanese will be very impressive. I'm sure the students will love you. BTW, it is a small world, isn't it? Love ya!