Thursday, May 21, 2009

1st classes + bike

i have survived my first two official days of school without any major problems. the staff are very friendly and have given me a very warm welcome. there are a few teachers (mostly the one's who speak english, teach english) who i can communicate with without problems. and the others who don't speak much really try and get out dictionaries to help me understand what they are saying. i found out today (day 2) that the teacher who sits next to me  lives in my same neighborhood. i immediately asked her where a bike shop was because i have been looking for one but it is a bit hard doing internet searches since everything is in japanese so i had not found one near yet. she pointed one out to me on my map just down the road. she even called the shop for me two times because i told her i wanted a second-hand bike. she got me prices, bike details and the store hours! i went there after work and the store owner knew i was coming and greeted me by name! i bought a $60 used bike but when i rode off with it there was an ungodly squeaky break (and i already stand out, i don't need a screeching sound to draw extra attention/annoyance) so i rode right back and ended up getting all set up on a brand new cruiser for $120, what i was expecting to pay anyways. (lesson here: do more than a 3 ft test drive when buying a bike.) my new bike is a lightish metallic blue and super sweet; came with a basket, a rack on the back, a peddle powered front light, a kickstand, and a built in lock. in the states all of those accessories would probably add up to 100 bucks as it is! my bike just the basic style most seem people have. i am so excited. now my radius is so much bigger and faster. on the way home i stopped at the store and it was so quick to get home and throw my groceries in the front basket! 

as for classes, i have just done a brief hello speech because they have big tests next week so the following time i see them, i will do a longer presentation about myself and where i am from. i have been getting it together now. mostly so far, i have just been doing readings aloud from their english book. it is a big strange though as the english class is primarily taught in japanese so i am still in the dark for much of the time.

on day 1, i said a quick hello at a morning meeting in front of the whole school. i did ok but it was a little weird, oh well! they asked me to give a short speech in japanese for the teachers so i did that this morning. i memorized a simple thing that said: good morning, how do you do, i am noelle. i am from america. my hobby is photography. i am very happy to be here at this junior high school. please come talk to me, please watch out for me (a friend told me this saying and that it is good to say although it sounds weird in english), and a polite very nice to meet you. later i was told they were impressed by my good japanese; boy have i got them fooled! then after lunch they had a short reception welcoming me. they brought japanese cream-puffs and a bubbly, teddy bear type younger teacher read me an speech in english. it was so cute, i could have nearly teared up. i also gave my salt water taffy and tea. everyone said thank you. even though it was a small token, i think it was appreciated. so far, i really like everyone. i am sure it will only get better! i think being here will teach me about respect, kindness and perseverance. not to mention being on time, 100% of the time, all the time. always good. now... am i going to ride my bike tomorrow or not? i haven't quite figured out the whole bike parking situation yet... if the lots are free or pay. the lady from my neighborhood said at the station i use it costs 100 yen to park but i don't know how it works out so i don't know, i might need more information before i move the bike down there!

4 comments:

Bublitz said...

yeah to bikes!! sounds like you will have great experiences at your school and everyone is very sweet, yeah! i think taffy and tea was a special treat for them too :) i want bike pix!

mombo said...

Great story about your bike. It sounds very cool and just your color. Good for you for figuring it out. Am also glad you got the improved model. You'll have a lot more fun with it. Keep up the Japanese and the smiles. I got teary when I read what you wrote about respect and perseverance. I am so proud of you. I love you!!!!! Mombo

J Manson Squared said...

It is SO great to hear that you are getting all settled in and feeling at home at your school. The first few weeks of any job or any new place are SO hard, I can't imagine what it's like with a different language and culture. Good job getting the hook up with the bike....it would crack me up if you have to pay bike parking! Does anything ever get stolen there, are your bike accessories likely to disappear like they would at UO? Can't wait for more details & photos! PS - I gave Ella a squeeze and a kiss for you today!

angela.nored said...

i feel much better to being updated! sounds like things are going well. good luck on your presentation next week!!